Stockholm Terror Attack Suspect Will Plead Guilty, Lawyer Says



In Sweden, Tribute to Victims of Truck Attack

In response to the terrorist attack in central Sweden last week, thousands came out on Sunday to honor the victims with a message for peace.

By MARTIN EDSTRÖM, VEDA SHASTRI and TIM CHAFFEE on Publish Date April 9, 2017.

Photo by Martin Edström for The New York Times. Technology by Samsung.

Watch in Times Video »

STOCKHOLM — A 39-year-old Uzbek man who has been held after Sweden’s worst terror attack in decades “admits to the crime,” his lawyer said in court on Tuesday.

Appearing in public for the first time since his capture, the man, Rakhmat Akilov, entered Sweden’s largest secured courtroom, a subterranean space at Stockholm District Court. It was only three-quarters of a mile from Drottninggatan, the pedestrianized street where Mr. Akilov steered a stolen beer truck into a crowd on Friday afternoon, killing four people and injuring 15 others. He was arrested about five hours later.

Accompanied by a lawyer and a Russian-language interpreter, Mr. Akilov was led into court by two police officers who gripped a black belt secured around his waist. Mr. Akilov, who is of average height and medium build, was hunched over, his thick salt-and-pepper hair creeping above his shoulders.

He had a moss-green fleece jacket wrapped around his head, preventing the dozens of journalists on hand from seeing his face, but the judge ordered him to remove it. (He was not handcuffed.) Underneath, he was wearing a pajama-like uniform.

Mr. Akilov’s court-appointed defense lawyer, Johan Eriksson, said the defendant “admits to having committed the terrorist crime,” and did not oppose his continued detention.

The prosecutor, Hans Ihrman, then asked the judge to close the proceedings to the public, and Mr. Eriksson agreed.

After reporters were let back in, the judge, Malou Lindblom, announced that she had ordered Mr. Akilov held until May 11, citing the risk that he might disappear, damage evidence or “continue with criminal activity.” He is being held on suspicion of terrorist murder.

Mr. Akilov had asked that a Sunni Muslim lawyer be appointed for him, instead of Mr. Eriksson, arguing that “only a lawyer of this faith could assert his interests in the best way,” but that request was denied.


Police officers outside Stockholm District Court, where Rakhmat Akilov, a 39-year-old Uzbek, appeared on Tuesday in connection with the truck attack last week that killed four people.

TT News Agency, via Reuters

Mr. Eriksson told reporters at the courthouse that he was prohibited from sharing details from the closed-door hearing, but said of the defendant, “Our relationship is good.”

“He’s pleading guilty,” Mr. Eriksson said. “I’m not allowed to tell anything he said in the court today.”

The court had ordered an initial screening to determine whether Mr. Akilov “needs to undergo a more in-depth mental health assessment,” Mr. Eriksson added.

Mr. Eriksson said it was important “to uphold democratic principles and that he gets the same defense as anyone else.”

Mr. Akilov, a construction worker, had sought asylum in Sweden, but his application was rejected. Ordered in December to leave the country, he went underground — one of an estimated 12,000 rejected asylum seekers who are on the run in the country.

A nation of 10 million, Sweden took in 244,000 asylum seekers in 2014 and 2015, more per capita than any other country in Europe.

Sweden mourned the victims of the attacks with a minute of silence on Monday. The dead included two Swedes, a woman and an 11-year-old girl, who have not been identified; a British man, Crispin Bevington, who worked in Stockholm for the music streaming service Spotify; and a Belgian woman, Mailys Dereymaeker, who had been visiting friends. Eight others remained hospitalized on Tuesday, two of them in critical condition.

The truck attack resembled similar assaults using vehicles in Nice, France, in July; in Berlin in December; and in London last month. The Islamic State asserted responsibility for those three.

Swedish investigators have interviewed 600 people in connection with the assault, and had also held another man besides Mr. Akilov, but on Tuesday, that man was released.

“According to the prosecutor, the suspicions have weakened and there is, therefore, no ground to apply for a detention order,” the Swedish Prosecution Authority said in a statement.

Continue reading the main story

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here